Mediocre

In High School, in French litteratur class, we had a theme about anti-heros.

Regular people who weren't choosing the brave path, but were instead failing, falling, going from mistake to mistake, and were by no way appealing, which at the same time was what was interesting to read and made the hero more human for the reader.

A little later, when at the university, I started to read some Houellebecq, who again nailed it in putting repelling, ugly, under-common people in the center of his novels. Those people you don't want to be, the boogiemen of your human evolution.

Recently I read this novel about this unhappy housewife, who compensates her unhappiness by taking lovers, basically to forget one she had fallen in love with a couple of years ago, and who had left. At the end she gets beaten by her husband, kicked out from home, leaves her perse in the train, finally calls the unforgotten lover to find out that he got happily married, kicks her phone into the lake and ends up throwing herself under a train.

She is written in a way that communicates discomfort, pity and at the same time makes you want to put a distance between you and her. You want to be better than that. But there is a simplicity and freedom in her deadly spiral. This is what makes her into another boogieman. The attraction of her letting go and giving up.

Elis Regina sings a song " yesterday morning, I woke up and got frightened, I am more than 20 years old". I have loved that song since I was a teenager.

Today I find myself in my mid thirties, closer to all those anti-heros I enjoyed to distance myself from, feeling that I have taken a path of wrong decisions, leading to an emptiness and lack of passion that paints the scenery grey.




Kommentarer

Populære opslag fra denne blog

brazilianspamnewsletter #4

Brasilien på Frederiksberg

brazilianspamnewsletter #3